Collections

Admission Opening hours
Adult 5,00 €
Discount ticket €3,50
Under 18 years Free admission
 

Museum:
1 June-31 Aug., Mon-Sun 11am-5pm
1 Sept.-13 Jan, Wed-Sun 11am-4pm
(closed 6. Dec. 24-26 Dec.)
Office: mon-fri on request
Archive: Tuesdays 3pm-6pm

Contact information

Fiskars Museum
Peltorivi 13
FI-10470 Fiskars, Finland
Tel. +358 (0)45 1808111

Fiskars Museum Office
Peltorivi 26
FI-10470 Fiskars, Finland
info (at) fiskarsmuseum.fi

Pohja local history archive
Peltorivi 11
FI-10470 Fiskars
+358 (0)44 0500854
arkivet (at) fiskarsmuseum.fi

 

Object collection

Object collection

The museum's item collection consists of almost 6000 items related to the Fiskars Ironworks. Parts of the collections are on display in the museum basic exhibition and the rest are in a repository and displayed only in temporary exhibitions. The collection includes items from everyday life such as domestic items, furniture and textiles, as well as items made at the Ironworks.

Coffee maker, item no 690

This copper coffee maker was made by a copper smith Johan August Fritz (1854-1930) in 1880. The coffee maker was the model for the 20th century coffee maker Melitta. The Walloon family Fritz served as copper smiths at the Ironworks for three generations. In 1860, Johan August moved to Fiskars with his parents and sisters. His father, also named Johan August, was a copper smith. The copper used at Fiskars came from its own mine at Orijärvi. Copper was first found there in 1757.

 

 

Table chair, item no 460

This table chair has been in use in a working class home in Fiskars. Stableman Lindblad's family had 12 children. The youngest of the children used the table chair for dining and homework as a table. At other times it was used as a chair. Working class families did not have much room. A big family with parents and numerous children could live in one small kitchen. Because of this, the furniture was designed to save space.

Crucible, item no 326

In 1836, the owner of the Fiskars Ironworks, Johan Jacob von Julin, built a new and modern foundry. The foundry had two cupolas and a big crane. The crucible was used to flow melted iron into casts. Two men used the crucible with the help of the crane.

The foundry products mainly included cast products which were needed in factories and on farms. One of the biggest orders came from the Finlayson factory in Tampere, when they ordered 90 cast iron columns and a 28 feet (8,3 m) water wheel. Cast products for the Saimaa Channel and crosses for the Hietaniemi cemetery were also made at Fiskars.

Casting took place once a week, after which the workers got the rest of the day off. Otherwise the foundry workers had long working days. The foundry was in use until 1954.

Collectio minerali Julinian

Julin's mineral collection in the Fiskars Museum contains around 400 different mineral samples. The collection is possibly the oldest in Finland. Collectio minerali Julinian consists mainly of minerals the owner of the Fiskars Ironworks, Johan Jacob Julin (1787-1853) gathered around Europe, especially Finland, Sweden and England. In addition, the collection has 30-40 samples which belonged to Johan Jacob's father, apothecary Johan Julin (1752-1820).

Borrowing from the collection

In order to ensure the preservation of the item collection for future generations, the Fiskars Museum only borrows items to professionally kept museums. Items from the props collection, on the other hand, can be borrowed to anyone as agreed upon. Please contact the director of museum Emi Ingo, +358 (0)45 3538381 or emi.ingo (at) fiskarsmuseum.fi