Fiskars Ironworks 1649-2014
Learn about Fiskars Ironworks 365 years of history by reading these articles and by visiting the museum basic exhibition Life at Fiskars Ironworks. The exhibition is located in the Museum building. The building was constructed in the 1850s, and originally it functioned as an office to the machine workshop. Later it served as living quarters for several families and since 1949 as a museum. The building was renovated in the spring 2014 with the utmost respect for history.
Johan Jacob von Julin
Johan Jacob Julin’s family comes from the parish of Julita in Södermalm, Sweden. His father, Johan Eldest was born in Västerås, and trained as an apothecary.
In March 1829, Johan Jacob von Julin wrote a letter in which he expressed his desire to start metal production at Fiskars.
Iron Out of Ore
Iron has been produced in Finland from bog ore and limonite since the pre-historic times. Since the late Middle Ages,
Gardening and Farming in Fiskars
Growing vegetables and herbs was an important part of the self-sufficient economy of manors and ironworks. In the 19th century, these plants were grown around the ironworks office and Kivimuuri.
The story of the Orijärvi mine began in 1757, when copper was found in the mountains of the area. At the time,
Healthcare in Fiskars
In the summer of 1831, the Fiskars Ironworks was faced with cholera. The owner, apothecary Johan Jacob Julin prepared for the disease by stocking items for ten sick beds.
Schools in Fiskars
The construction of the first school building began in 1826, but teaching first started in a temporary shelter in 1832, around the Midsummer Day,